Wrinkle relaxation treatments have been used for decades all over the world in order to achieve a softer, smoother and more youthful skin appearance.
Key areas of concerns include:
- Forehead Lines
- Frown Lines.
- Crow’s Feet Wrinkles
The treatment is usually done within 15 minutes and there is almost no recovery period needed, making it very discrete. You will require an initial consultation to make sure you are suitable for the treatment and that it can target any skin concerns that you may have.
What Is The Treatment for Lines and Wrinkles?
Botulinum Toxin (Type A) when injected into a muscle acts by by blocking nerve impulses and therefore temporarily relaxing the muscle tissue. As the nerve impulses are blocked, the muscle is temporarily unable to move in the same way as usual so that dynamic wrinkles are not formed. This gives the overlying facial skin a softer, smoother appearance.
This treatment has an excellent safety record with a long record of use in medicine. It has been used successfully in patients to treat a variety medical conditions over the last 20 years. It has been used cosmetically to treat facial lines and wrinkles for over 15 years and has become one of the most popular non-surgical cosmetic treatments to date.
Who Is Suitable For This Treatment?
The Treatment can be used for smoothing wrinkles in men and women, however men often need slightly higher doses than women. There are no restrictions on age, except for those who are under 18. Research shows that patients who have frequent treatment, use and contract the muscles that can lead to wrinkles less. This leads to fewer deep wrinkles being created later in life.
Who Should Not Be Use This Treatment?
- People with infection at the proposed injection site.
- People who have previously had an allergic reaction toto the medicine.
- People with muscle problems or chronic diseases affecting the muscles, such as Myasthenia Gravis, Eaton Lambert syndrome.
- Children under the age of 18 years.
- Women who are pregnant or breastfeeding.
How Much Does It Cost?
Treatment starts from £250 and depends on how many areas are targeted.
Will My Face Look Unnatural?
Some patients like to have natural look and others prefer a ‘frozen’ look. Just let us know what your preferences are; if it is the first time you are receiving the treatment, we would aim for a more natural look and see how your muscles respond to the treatment.
Will I See the Results Quickly? How Long Do Treatment Effects Last?
It can take about 2-14 days to see the full effects after the initial treatment. Usually we review the results at around 2-weeks after the initial treatment.
The effects can last up to six months but typically range from three to four months for an average person.
Eventually, most people require re-treatment as the wrinkles reappear.
What Were Common Side Effects Seen In Clinical Studies?
The treatment is very safe. Possible side effects include: redness, minor swelling, discomfort or pain at the site, tiredness, headache, neck pain; dry mouth and rarely, allergic reactions.
What After Care Advice Should I Follow?
- Try to contract the treated muscle areas for up to four hours after treatment, by frowning and lifting eyebrows to allow the toxin to reach all of the treated muscle.
- Try to avoid lying down during the initial 4 hours after treatment so that the toxin stays in the treated muscle, instead of dispersing/spreading.
- Avoid rubbing or touching the injected areas and avoid having facials and massage for 48 hours this is to ensure that the treatment remains at the site of injection.
- Avoid vigorous exercise, saunas and alcohol-based products on the area treated for 48 hours.
- If mild bruising develops the you can apply Arnica cream. If severe bruising develops, please contact the practice for advice.
- Paracetamol can be taken for mild pain post procedure
- Attend a 2-4 week review so that we can assess your results.